Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Story so Far

My name is Greg, I am a PhD student at Washington University in St. Louis, and I have Ewing's sarcoma.

It has been interesting getting used to saying that "I have cancer".  Of course, most people know in a loose sense what cancer is, the common causes, what organs are most common for it to pop up in, and that it kills people.  However, I work in a research laboratory with a focus on understanding the origins of gastric cancer.  I read about, hear talks about, and discuss the biology of cancer on a regular basis.  Research on different gene mutations, metabolic changes, the existence of cancer stem cells, and so forth are presented as we eat our weekly Wednesday afternoon lunch of Raccinelli's Pizza at our department seminar.  We throw around statistics about the prevalence and fatality rate of the various kind of cancer or disease that we are studying without a second thought.  My perspective changed quickly when my first MRI scan resulted in the discovery of a large tumor in my right chest.

To go back to the beginning, I've been having intermittent back pain beginning around October of 2012.  Once it started, there was always a dull pain right below my right shoulder blade which would periodically kick up in intensity to the point that my shoulder was throbbing and I couldn't walk more than a block without taking a breather.  I was more or less fine for the majority of my days, so I didn't object when the head resident at Student Health referred me to physical therapy (PT).  I was in PT and doing my exercises on a fairly regular basis from then until January or so with my pain getting progressively worse and more consistent.  I was working on my qualifying exam (a written and oral exam I had to pass to stay in grad school), and this allowed me to spend bad days reading and writing for my exam.  After I passed my exam at the end of January 2013, I had another appointment with PT where we decided I should go back to see the MD at Student Health.  From Student Health, I was referred to Orthopedics since they still believed that it was something I could work on mechanically with exercises.

My Ortho appointment didn't solve any mysteries, but they took some X-rays, and saw some weird "shadows" and a slight tilt to my aorta.  This lead to 3 MRI's, a contrast CT, and a PET scan.  The first MRI and CT established I had a large "mass" in my chest, this mass needed to be removed surgically, and I was told what the surgeon's name who would be performing this operation.  This was probably one of the worst phone calls in my life.  The PET scan was planned after I talked to my surgeons about my approaching operation was to see if I had any more masses in my body, and sure enough I have a couple on my pelvis, and I have a vertebrae which is pretty well cancer ridden.  Thankfully, my case was taken over by Dr. Brian Van Tine who has set me on a course to hopefully rid me of this shit in the next year in a half with a barrage of chemo, surgery, cryoablation, radiation, and more chemo.

I was given the official diagnosis Thursday, March 21, 2013.  I started chemo that same day since Dr. Van Tine anticipated the diagnosis and wanted to begin treatment immediately.  So far it hasn't been too bad.  I am a bit nauseous and take naps more often.  The thing that is bothering me the most right now is I smell different now and have a constant strange taste in my mouth.  My back pain, which greatly reduced my mobility and ability to function, has for the most part evaporated away.  The good doctor said that people start feeling relief within the first few days as the chemo starts shrinking the tumors.  I didn't quite believe him at first, but whatever pressure was being put on my nerves due to my vertebral and chest masses has greatly diminished.

My next chemo treatment isn't until next week, and I'm heading into lab (my job) tomorrow to try to get some of my research in order before the next round kicks in.  My lab mates and boss have been extremely generous and supportive during this whole ordeal, and I can not thank them enough.  This includes all of my family and friends who have extended their support too.  

*Also for everyone who isn't a science nerd, plants and animals that researchers use to investigate their questions are known as model organisms.  Since my tumors have been biopsied for both histology and genomic sequencing, I (as my good friend Danny suggested) can now be seen as a model organism.  Especially if Dr. Van Tine, who runs his own lab, decides to inject some of my tumor cells into some of his mice (which would be really really cool).

4 comments:

  1. Refreshing as hell to see someone post online about chemo without the inclusion of phrases like "injecting poison" ect... It's awesome that you're taking such a positive outlook on all of this. Chin up, man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Spectergt. I just took a look over your blog, and you're preaching to the choir when it comes to writing/warning against pseudoscience. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really well written. This is a pretty nifty way to keep people posted on your progress man. I hope you keep feeling better. Remember even with something as crazy as a tumor, you could still beat me up the stairs at city museum. Take care bud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are all praying for you, and are happy to hear that you are in excellent care. Thank you for keeping us updated, and please let us know if we can do anything for you. Peace, Dawn

    ReplyDelete